Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Money and a room of her own

I am actually home on a Tuesday night and listening to the KPFT/Nuestra Palabra Show for a change. I always want to hear it but I have a meeting on Tuesday nights and somehow listening to it online doesn’t always seem the same. I do need to go back and hear a couple of old shows. My friend Angie is so awesome!

She and I were on this show almost a year ago when I was going to read at the Nuestra Palabra showcase. Tony liked her so much that they invited her to volunteer for the show. She’s been a regular ever since! (I’m sorry I forgot your exact title Angie!) Anyway, she sounds so great on the radio. She has a great voice. Did you hear that Angie? YOU HAVE A GREAT VOICE! So if you’ve never heard the show listen up on Tuesday nights at 9 p.m. at 90.1 KPFT.

What’s new here? I’m well into Chapter two of my novel. Did I tell y’all about my writing room? Virgina Woolf said, "A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is going to write." I don’t have enough money to quit working to write full time but I do have hope that I will one day. So I took our extra room upstairs and fixed up a nice little desk for myself. I set up my lap top there. It’s a really cute room that we fixed up for my step-daughter when she lived with us. It has a bed, built in bookshelves Rey built, and now a little desk.

What was really cool was that the wireless network worked up there too. Rey was surprised and I asked him why and he said he didn’t know it would work up because he thought it only worked sideways. That means I can even log on to the internet in my little room.

I set up my desk and computer and I wrote up there a couple of times but I ended up bringing my computer downstairs and I have actually been writing down here. Isn’t that hilarious?

I write with the kids around me, my husband playing Xbox, and in between doing other things. This exact moment I’m listening to KPFT and I didn’t feel like carrying my computer and radio upstairs. I can hear the baby crying in the other room but somehow I’m still able to concentrate. Rey says I have to write down here because I’m in my element. He didn’t think I’d last long upstairs. In a funny way I think he’s right. I think I’m getting more writing done this way. I just log on my computer each evening when I get home and I write when I can. I keep the computer on, do other things and come back and write some more.

My sister is coming to visit this weekend. My nephew may come with her too. He’s a man now- 23 years old. It’s hard to believe he’s that old and that I used to change his diapers. He lives in San Diego and he’s gorgeous. He always has been a beautiful boy and he has a really big heart. He’s coming to visit because one of our cousins’ sons is getting married and is having a big wedding.

My time is running out. Someone is getting antsy. He’s like a little clock! I nursed him exactly three hours ago and he’s getting hungry and he’s letting us know.

No comments: