Thursday, May 12, 2005

Alanis Morissette Week

I have been having an Alanis Morissette week. I’ve been listening to her music a lot and I really love her lyrics. Have you ever listened to the words to “Thank You?” I love these four lines right here:

"the moment I let go of it, was the moment I got more than I could handle. the moment I jumped off of it, was the moment I touched down."

I’m not sure what exact life experience she had to inspire these words but these four lines make me think of my own life and what I can do if I would just let go and try. I’m so afraid to jump because I worry about the kids and insurance and our future. I know Rey worries about those same things and I don’t blame him.

I know the safe thing to do is to write this novel while I still have a job and to try to sell it first before I do something radical like quit to write full time. I keep telling myself to be patient but they are making it so damn hard!

I think today I made up my mind about what I'm going to do with my current job situation and I think I feel good about my decision. No, it doesn't include quitting my job or anything radical like that. I just made a decision regarding what direction I want to take. I read that silly book, “Who moved my cheese” and I’ve decided that the answer is, “I do!”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, what decision did you make regarding your job? I had an instant attraction to Alanis' lyrics in "Thank You" when it first came out. She has inspired me in many ways. See, maybe you should listen more to the music in your life!