Saturday, October 15, 2005

The Kite Runner

My new book is The Kite Runner. If you've never heard about it look it up. It's made me feel a feeling I haven't had in long time.

It reminds me of a short story my sister read to me when I was a little girl of about 5 of a boy who was always sick and about his brother. One day the older brother and the little sick one were either running or doing something. The older brother didn't believe the little brother when he collapsed. The little brother died and the narrator describes the little coffin. That story impressed me so much and I cried so much that my mother actually got mad at my sister for reading it to me. The story haunted me. I often wonder what story that was and I always forget to ask my sister.

When I read this book I felt very similar. I felt some of the same pain and longing for the main character. I wanted to make him make a different decision. I wanted to change the story somehow but I couldn't. I can't that is. That moment in the novel is the whole point of the story. It's a haunting book.

No comments: