Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Weight Watchers Part 2

You all know about me and Weight Watchers and that I lost a few pounds doing the online deal. Then I fell off the wagon and sometimes I blamed it on not going to the meetings for the support and more than that, the accountability that I need.

I went to a couple of meetings at a trendy supermarket in the area and I didn't keep going back for a couple of reasons, but the main one was that I didn't like the leader. There is just something about her that I don't like. I can't put my finger on it and I don't want to be mean, but you know, sometimes we as people just don't like other people. Sometimes people just rub us the wrong way and there is something like that about this woman. She has one of those puckered faces and small mouths and she does a lot of the talking and the team members don't really talk, except to tell everyone how they lost weight that week.

Yesterday I had lunch with two of my girlfriends and I told them that I was going to try another meeting across the street from the deli where we were eating. I also like that it's next to Luby's and I love Luby's. I told them about the woman at the other meeting and that I hoped that the woman at this meeting was attractive. They cracked up when I said that but I explained that I didn't mean attractive in a sexual way, of course, but that I would be attracted to her as a person. I wanted to like her enough to enjoy being there and to return to the meetings.

Today was the day I met my new team leader. I was in and out of there so fast and she was running late, that I didn't even get her name. All I know is that I totally like her. She's in her late 40s, maybe. She may be in her early 50s and just looks really good but I'm not sure. She's a great speaker and just tells it like it is. I like that about her.

She was talking about the holidays and all the food that is around and all the excuses that we make to just quit. She said that the holidays is a time when all the weight loss businesses lose a lot of business. People just take on that attitude that they are going to start again with the new year and enjoy the holidays. She asked a very good question. She asked why do people quit and one lady answered, "Because it's hard." To that she answered, "But isn't life hard? But we still do it. We still do what we have to do."

I thought about that and it reminded me of when the kids were babies. I remembered that completely exhausted feeling when they were small when I felt like I couldn't go on any more. But yet I did. I just did what I was supposed to do because I had no choice. That was all. Shouldn't my approach to weight loss be the same?

It was a great meeting and I came out feeling really motivated and ready to continue on my Weight Watchers quest.

No comments: