Sunday, June 18, 2006

Family and Good Wine



Here I am this past Saturday at the wedding. I filled in the dress a bit more than the Torrid model. I decided to go with the closed toed pointy tan shoes. Sorry, I don't have a picture of the shoes.

The wedding was absolutely beautiful and elegant. The reception was in a beautiful old historic Austin hotel. The best part was seeing my cousin so happy and his beautiful bride so ecstatic. They made a beautiful couple.

The next best thing was seeing so many family members and meeting a new cousin. She's actually my first cousin's daughter. Her mother is 75 and I'm 36. She's the eldest of the Casares cousins and I'm the youngest. Very strange! That gives you an idea of the age span of all the cousins and how many of us there are. There were 13 children and my father was #10.

We arrived Friday night kind of late so we checked into our hotel, the Hampton Inn downtown. Very nice by the way and I was surprised. We were only 4 blocks from 6th St so of course we had to walk down and people watch. Needless to say, we felt old. We looked for the quietest place, a restaurant called the Iron Cactus and we just drank margaritas and watched people. (6th Street is where all the bars are for you non-Texans.)

When we walked up to the door the doorman was carding some kids in front of us and when it was our turn he said, "We're not serving dinner any more but you can have drinks." We told him that was fine and he proceeded to let us in without carding us. It was hilarious! He probably thought, "these old fogies can only be here for dinner." Then the other funny part that was while I was sitting there people watching and drinking a margarita I started to nod off. Talk about lame!

We drove home Saturday afternoon after the wedding and I lamented that I hadn't planned better and looked for wineries or vineyards to visit on the way home. We decided to travel on Hwy 71 to I-10 and on the drive home on Hwy 71 East we ran into a quaint vineyard and winery, Rosemary's Vineyard. We were really excited to find out that they have only been open for 11 weeks and we were privileged to drink of their first crop. They are also the only winery on Hwy 71 or in that vicinity. We loved their wine!

Rey was really excited to see they had a Ruby Port so of course we tasted it. I liked it a lot better than some of the other port wines that Rey has bought. I bought the Blanc Du Bois and the Muscadine Red. Both are a perfect blend, not too sweet or too dry. They also carry a couple of bottles for another vineyard and that guy had a great wild grape wine but I can't remember the name.

If you ever drive out to Sealy to go shopping you just need to drive a little way out on Hwy 71 East and you'll see the winery on your right hand side. The address is 5521 Hwy 71 East, La Grange, TX and the phone number is 979-249-2109. Hours are TH-Sun, 12-7.

2 comments:

Suvii said...

You look beautiful in the dress Shoegirl! Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. Time with family, topped off by yummy wine tasting! Sounds awesome. So, it appears you and your hubby like wine. Have you traveled to the CA Napa Valley? My hubby and I try to go at least once a year. We only live about 50 miles away, but it's hard finding the time.

Coco said...

I like the dress...
you made an excellent purchase,
and the style of the shoes complimented the outfit : )
I'll have to look into Torrid...

Glad that you and your family had a wonderful time.

Un fuerte y caluroso abrazo.
Bendiciones.

ps
Yes, Napa!! : )
wine, massages, more wine, nice scenerey, and more wine...
It's a nice place to relax.