Monday, July 17, 2006

Maria Palacios "Goddess on Wheels"

Rey (my husband)and I will both be reading this Saturday at a fundraising event for Maria Palacios, a local poet, author and activist. The event is to help her raise money for a new electronic wheel chair.

I met Maria Palacios when she read the same night I did the very first time I read at Nuestra Palabra a few years ago. I bought her book, The Female King, then and I absolutely loved it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0972648305/qid=1152633488/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/103-8867280-5270240?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Here’s a short bio on her http://www.diversityspeakers.com/speakers.html#p

Her event is Saturday if any of you would like to come out. There will be authors reading from their work, wine and cheese, and a silent auction.

WHEN: SATURDAY JULY 22, 2006
WHERE: 7307 AUTUMN GROVE DR. HOUSTON, TEXAS 77072
Time: 6:00 pm – 10:00 pm
RSVP: JENNIE 832-518-8195
Or at whatsinaword@hotmail.com

If you're in Houston or nearby I hope you can make it!

I know that first sentence really surprised some of you. Yes, "My Renaissance Man" besides being an artist and able to play some instruments by ear, therefore musically inclined, also has a wonderful novel brewing inside of him. He started writing it and this reading may be just the thing he needs to encourage him to get it going again.

You know what that means don't you? I need to get my butt busy preparing something to read too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and Good Luck to Rey!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy reading your blog. It's a toss up between your blog and Adam's corner. I enjoy seeing and reading of another culture.

Did you enjoy the convention?