Sunday, December 31, 2006

Major Milestone

I am so proud of my little girl! She knows how to read now!! She has been learning for the past semester in school. They have been teaching her the vowel and consonant sounds, the letter blends, etc. It's been pretty cool hearing her learn to read gradually. This Winter Break she has been trying to read on her own more.

When I saw that she could read most of "The Story of Ferdinand" (the Bull) I suggested that she take down her Dick and Jane book again and give it a try. She had tried to read it before but couldn't get very far. This time she took off!

I may sound like I'm exaggerating but I consider reading one of life's major milestones. Being a big reader myself I consider learning to read a major step in life. She can now read books all on her own and it will take her into other worlds and into the lives of other people.

She just cracked me up. Rey was kidding with her and told her, “Reading is bad!” She answered, “No it isn’t! Reading is good because when I grow up I can write my own book and I can read it.”

That’s my girl! I'm so excited for her!! Life is good!

No comments: