Thursday, December 14, 2006

My Crazy Antics

Okay I've been holding out on y'all. I haven't told you my cement story because, well, first because I was embarrassed but then I thought, "What the heck! What do I have to be embarrassed about? If I can't laugh at myself then.." How does that saying go? Anyway, I've shared the story with a couple of my friends and they have laughed so hard that I know it's just not fair that I haven't shared it with all of you, my dear readers and friends.

It happened like this. I was meeting two of my friends for lunch. We tried going to an Indian restaurant we all liked but when we got there we found out it had closed down. So we went in search of another good Indian restaurant and ended up at India's on Richmond. When we got there we had to go around some cones and city street workers to get to the parking lot but I didn't pay that much attention to what they were doing. There was the problem.

After a wonderful lunch of conversation and watching them juggle eating and keeping their baby boys entertained, we left. I drove out of the parking lot and I know I saw the cones because I turned to the right to go around them.

Unfortunately for them, and for me, they didn't place the cones on both sides of the cement that they had just finished pouring. I drove right into the wet cement. At first I didn't realize what I had done. I heard the men yell something and for an instant I panicked. I thought I had hit one of the men so I stopped. I stopped right in the middle of the wet cement. Yes, with all four tires. Then when I tried to get out I started spinning. The poor men whose cement I had just ruined had to push my truck out of the cement.

I felt horrible! I kept apologizing to these men and by now they were kind of laughing at the situation. Their foreman wasn't laughing though.

In my defense, one of my girlfriends who left right before me, said that when she pulled out she saw that they had just poured the cement and she also saw that they did not put cones all around it. They only had cones across from it. She said that she thought to herself, "Someone isn't going to see it and they are going to drive right into it." Little did she know that that someone was going to be her own friend!

One of the men sprayed my truck down and I then took it to Bubbles Car Wash so they could wash underneath while the cement was still wet.

The best part about it was telling my husband about it and he reminded me that my SUV is a 4x4 and I could have gotten myself out. I don't know how to use the 4x4!! I've always considered that a "guy" thing and nothing I would have ever gotten if I was buying the SUV by myself. I never learned how to shift the gears. I guess I never thought I'd be stuck in wet cement either!

No comments: