Saturday, February 24, 2007

It's RODEO Time Houston

I've never been a big Rodeo fan. I've only been to a handful of shows in my lifetime. But now I have kids. And kids that are big enough to understand now.

Yesterday was Go Western Day at my daughter's school. Of course she had to have the whole wardrobe. My mother-in-law was kind enough to buy her a super cute skirt that is denim on top and brown on the bottom. I found a brown blouse with little pink flowers, pink cowboy boots and best of all, a pink cowboy hat with a tiara attached to the crown. ADORABLE! She looked so cute!

When the baby saw her boots and hat he wanted to know where his cowboy man hat was. Since I don't want for him to miss out I planned on getting him boots and a hat and I'm taking them both to the Rodeo parade today.

For those of you who aren't from Houston, this is the time when someone who comes in from out of town gets the stereotype that we ALL where Western wear all the time and ride horses. The Trail Riders ride into town the Friday before the Rodeo kick off. And I do mean ride as in ride in on horses. They camp out at Memorial Park and in the morning they go to Downtown Houston for the parade. I think the big bar-b-q also kicks off on Friday night. There's a big carnival at the Rodeo and all the other things you would imagine of a rodeo, horse riding competitions, lassoing, calf runs, etc. There are also big shows, country singers, Spanish singers, and pop singers. Like Beyonce, Sheryl Crow, and George Strait.

So anyway, back to the kiddos. When I dropped off my daughter in her outfit a mother was walking down the sidewalk and I saw her checking Miranda out. She said, "She's got it going on!" That made my morning! I was so happy for Miranda because I knew that she felt really good about the way she looked too.

Then I got sad. I know, I sound sappy. I got sad because it was an experience she was going to have without me. It was an experience she was going to have all on her own and I had to let her. I couldn't very well go to school with her. She was going to go and have a great day and I wouldn't be there to hear if anyone complimented her and then of course the hardest thing of all, or to protect her if anyone was unkind. I think that's the hardest part of letting go. The idea that I have no control over what happens to her throughout the day and that people (including some teachers sadly) will be unkind and I won't be there to protect her.

So this morning we're getting ready to leave to the Rodeo parade. It should be an adventure. I hope the kids can see over the people. I remember that being the hardest part of all when I was little. Maybe I can find a good balcony to watch it from.

Have a great day or weekend, depending on when you are reading this.

1 comment:

Coco said...

a cowboy hat with a tiara!!
how cute is that?! : )
i'm sure she looked ADORABLE!!

yes, letting go is very difficult,
but necessary...this is life.

i hope everyone had a wonderful time at the rodeo : )

un fuerte y caluroso abrazo.
bendiciones,
coco