Sunday, April 22, 2007

Chicago, the 80s and a Little History Lesson

I am totally procrastinating. I have a To Do list written out, a packing list, and a grocery shopping list. I only have a couple of things on my To Do list checked off. The good thing is that a lot of items on my packing list are clean. I only had to wash my jeans and my shirts. Other than that I am the world's worst packer and I won't really get it done until Tuesday night. I know myself. I also have to pack 3 days worth of clothes for the kids because they're going to my sister's house. Why do I love to procrastinate? I don't really call it that. I say I have so much to do. Right now I'm washing a load of clothes and the kids are in the tub. Before they took baths we went to our meeting, I had a bible study with my student, we went to a congregation going away party and they painted crafts.

I've been thinking about music a lot lately. I guess it's because I've been listening to Spanish Pop/Rock more over the last year, I started listening to the Dixie Chicks, and then I also started listening to very new artists, like Lori McKenna. It got me to thinking about my music history and I came to the realization that I got stuck in the 80s and I never got out. I have listened to 80s music my entire adult life. I occasionally listened to some other groups, like Mana in the early 90s. I also listened to some grunge in the early 90s. Basically I listened to the Singles soundtrack and liked it. Other than that I have not listened to anything new until now. It's kind of cool to finally come out of my 80s cocoon.

One last note and then I will bid you adieu. I wish I could say more about this, and I probably will in a later post, but I don't have the time right now. Check out this super interesting history about my husband Rey’s (and now kids') ancestors. I want to make a scrapbook with all this information for the kids to use in school projects and reports. Won’t this make an awesome history project!!??

I told Rey that next time we go to San Antonio I want to visit Jose Francisco’s historical house at the Witte Museum http://www.wittemuseum.org/exhibits/longtermexhibits.html, the family cemetery, and of course the Alamo. I want to take pictures of all of these things for them to have available for reference and to use in projects.

Jose Francisco Ruiz was the only original Texan who signed the Texas Declaration of Independence

Francisco Antonio Ruiz was mayor during the Alamo and placed on house arrest.

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/RR/fru11.html - Jose Francisco

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/RR/fru31.html - Francisco Antonio.

2 comments:

Suvii said...

Have a great time in Chicago! What a wonderful city it is. I've actually considered moving there, but probably can't take the winters.

Coco said...

Hope you have a wonderful time in Chicago. And no, I have NEVER thought of moving to Chicago...sorry.

Wow!! Talk about "family" history!! : )
Yes, you must collect, gather, and store information for your children about their "history"!

Blessings,
Coco