Monday, September 21, 2009

The Case of the Missing Blogger

Me on South Beach (Miami) in my Latina Lista t-shirt. Photo by Rey Ruiz.

I've been seriously MIA for too many reasons to even start talking about. Cousin's reading, Open House for Kids' School on two different days, and so on... Then I had to get ready to go to Miami for work. Miami is so nice and the beach was beautiful! It felt like a vacation Saturday when we were at the beach.

I was at the AHAA conference (Association of Hispanic Ad Agencies) Wednesday-Friday and then I stayed over the weekend for fun. Rey played while I worked and then we met up in the evenings for the events.
Wednesday night we got there and they had a nice welcome reception with free drinks. We just had dinner at the hotel bar because we were tired. Thursday Rey ran around town and went down to South Beach while I was in the conference. We had a 5 p.m. reception and then a 9 p.m. one at a cool Rooftop Bar at a hotel down the street.
Friday I was at the conference again and that evening we went out to South Beach and had a really good time. The place was amazing! And crazy!! The architecture of the hotels is just breath taking. Every hotel has a beautiful design.
The women dancing on the streets is crazy!! They are just out there dancing in front of the bars to attract customers. How wild!

Saturday was a little different. We went to the beach during the day, had lunch at an awesome place called Jerry's Deli. It reminded us of a really good New York deli. That night we went back to South Beach and that time we went out to a place called Lincoln Mall that reminded me of Europe. It has a big open plaza area from one street to another with stores, restaurants and clubs on each side.
We really didn't do anything on Sunday because we were coming home. It was a short but nice trip.
Traveling without the children is always a mixture of guilt and happiness. On one hand yes, I feel happy to be away and to be able to have adult conversations with my husband. On the other hand I feel a little guilty that I'm enjoying a really cool city without them. It's a weird mix. But in the end I know that I'm a happier mom because I did have this time away from them and that I get to recharge my batteries.
I was very inspired by this conference in a creative way. There was one really amazing speaker, Don Wieden of Wieden + Kennedy, the ad agency for Nike and all those great quotes I LOVE. Funny, because I so admire the Nike campaigns. He was really an inspiring guy.
One thing I was really motivated to do this trip was to finish a song that Rey and I started a while back. Well really Rey, but I helped along. It's such a great song and it deserves to be finished. So that's my goal this week.

No comments: