Saturday, January 05, 2013

New Year, Awesome Stuff, & Goals

So here I am. It's hard to believe that a whole year has passed already and that all my old issues are the same issues I have today. It's hard to believe that I feel like I didn't accomplish anything in my personal and professional life. I saw this idea floating around Facebook and Pinterest at the end of the year and it got me to thinking that maybe this is what I need to do this year.


Why? Because I think I forget all the good things that happened in 2012. I'm sure that I accomplished something this past year. I still have a roof over my head, my children are healthy, I have an interesting job, I accomplished something with Seth to help him in school, (more on that later) I have great friends and sisters and I met a lot of interesting characters along the way.

This is one of those years when I don't feel like setting any goals but I know I have to. Who cares if the goals are the same ones I set last year? Zig Ziglar said we have to have goals.

He says in his CD How to Get What You Want: “The great majority of people are “wandering generalities” rather than “meaningful specifics”. The fact is that you can't hit a target that you can't see. If you don't know where you are going, you will probably end up somewhere else. You have to have goals.”

So I ask myself do I want to be a wandering generality or do I want to be a meaningful specific? This past year I think I was wandering more than I was specific. I think I was just survival mode just doing what I had to do to keep my sanity and to keep my kids fed and healthy.

This coming year I plan on being a meaningful specific in all aspects of my life but especially professionally and personally. I have a great book brewing inside me but unless I write it I'm just a wandering generality.

I know what I need to do. It's already January 5th. It's time I sit down and set those goals and commit them to writing.

I loved this idea too. I found these pages on this website. Download them while they're still available. Let's set our goals for the year.

1 comment:

Rosie said...

Love the focus on being a meaningful specific. I look forward to hearing about your journey along the way!